The 12 Ways to a Healthy Holiday
December is a busy month filled with festive fun and delicious food. It can be difficult to keep your health a priority with gatherings and long to-do lists.
In the spirit of the holiday season, here are 12 tips to help you stay healthy, both physically and mentally.
1. Wash your hands. Keeping hands clean is one of the most important steps you can take to avoid getting you sick and spreading the germs.
2. Bundle up for warmth. Cold temperatures can cause serious health problems, especially in infants and older adults. Stay dry and dress appropriately for the weather.
3. Mange stress. The holidays don't need to take a toll on your health. Plan ahead and keep a relaxed outlook.
4. Don't drink and drive. Alcohol-related accidents kill someone every 31 minutes. Choose a designated drive or call a taxi.
5. Be smoke-free. Avoid smoking and second-hand smoke. If you smoke, we can help you take the steps to be SMOKE-FREE.
6. Fasten seat belts while driving. Always buckle up yourself and ensure everyone else riding in the car is buckled.
7. Get exams and screenings. Schedule a visit with your healthcare provider for your annual exam. Ask what tests you should be getting based of your age, medical history and lifestyle.
8. Get vaccinated. Vaccinations help prevent diseases. Talk with us about which vaccines you and your loved ones need.
9. Monitor the children. Keep potentially dangerous toys, food and drinks out of their reach to prevent injury.
10. Practice fire safety. Most residential fires occur during the winter months. Never leave candles, fireplaces, or stoves unattended. It's also important to test your smoke detector and carbon monoxide detectors once a month and replace batteries twice a year.
11. Prepare dinner safely. As you prepare your holiday meals, be mindful of food-related illnesses and how to prevent them. Avoid cross contamination and ensure foods are cooked to the proper temperature.
12. Eat well, and get moving. With balance and moderation, you can enjoy the holidays the healthy way. Select one of two of your favorites. But then find healthy alternatives for the rest, such as fresh fruit over sugary candies.