Drug Abuse Awareness
Drug addiction is one of the most common public health problems in the United States. Over 20 million people are current or former drug addicts in the States. It is a significant factor in health and disease issues, incarceration rates, vehicle accidents, employment and financial burden. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) drugs cost the community in excess of $18 billion annually due to the impact on health and productivity.
Lets look at some stats:
- 4 Billion prescriptions are dispensed in the United States each year
- Approximately 70% of people who abuse prescription medications get them from family or friends - often from the medicine cabinet
- Each day 2,500 young people between the ages of 12-17 abuse a prescription pain killer for the first time
When it come to fighting drug abuse and misuse, one of the key factors is proper medication storage and disposal.
• Keep medications stored in safe places, not easy for kids to access.
• Even with a magnifying glass, it is hard to tell difference between candy and medicine. Always keep medicines in their original bottle!
• Pay attention to prescription labels and follow instructions.
• Once you have completed your medication regimen, properly dispose of any unused medications.
As a locally owned and operated pharmacy, we are dedicated to helping our patients and community prevent prescription medication misuse and abuse.
Contact us today if you have any questions or concerns about your medications.